‘Design is not just what it looks like and feels like design is how it works.’ Steve Jobs
At St John’s Church of England Academy, we wholly embrace our local community and environment and have enhanced our curriculum through ‘Foresters’ Forest’ led enquiries to ensure that our children have a better appreciation and understanding of the uniqueness of The Forest of Dean.
St John’s Church of England Academy understands that Design and Technology allows pupils to solve problems, think creatively and develop ideas. Our Design and Technology Curriculum ensures that children are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of living in the Forest of Dean. Design &Technology offers pupils a chance to use creative thinking and activity within a defined purpose and tangible outcome. The school is committed to nurturing pupils’ curiosity and creativity, as well as preparing them for living in a modern world where technology is rapidly changing and advancing.
Through the delivery of our curriculum, we want our children to be ready for life beyond St John's Church of England Academy.
We aspire for them to be:
As a Designer we want our children...
To develop the skills to be able to create an idea, design a plan and use the appropriate tools safely and competently make the product. To be aware of the hygiene required to handle and make food safely.
By teaching Design and Technology, we aim to help pupils:
- Develop their design and making skills.
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of design and technologies.
- Use a wide range of tools and materials.
- Learn about working safely and protective measures.
- Work individually and collaborate with other pupils in a variety of contexts.
- Develop the capability to create products of a high standard through skills and understanding.
- Evaluate products, made by themselves, their peer groups and companies.
- Explore the man-made world and encourage discussion of how we live and work within it.
- Develop an interest in and understanding of technological processes and the role of manufacturing in society.
- Learn the principles of nutrition, healthy eating and how to cook.
The impact and measure of our design and technology curriculum is to ensure that children at St John’s Church of England Academy are equipped with the design and technology skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the curriculum at Key Stage 3 and for life as an adult in the wider world.
Belonging Perseverance Respect Forgiveness Truth Aspiration